Thursday, September 16, 2010

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

Title: Crank
Author: Ellen Hopkins
Other Books in this series: Glass, Fallout
Series Name: N/A
Summary: Kristina Snow is the perfect daughter. The summer before her Junior year of highschool, she decides to go to Albuquerque to visit her dad. She has the image of the perfect father in her mind, but when she gets there, she is disappointed to find out he works at a bowling alley and drinks and uses drugs. She soon meets Adam, or "Buddy". While introducing herself to him, she creates Bree, the daring side of Kristina. Adam introduces Bree to what she refers to as the Monster, Crank, or Crystal Meth. Crank chronicles how Crank changes Kristina/Bree's life.
Review: Everybody told me, "OMG, you HAVE to read this book, it's so good, blah blah blah." That's the only reason I got it. Because everyone else told me to. When I started reading it, I fell in love with the writing style. Writing a whole book in just poems? Pure genius. I kinda wish I had come up with the idea first. The story was riveting and addicting. Kristina's story was heartbreaking. I couldn't put it down. It's such a realistic look in a teenager's mind. The book was mind blowing.
Cover Rating: 4/5
Comments on the Cover: It must have been hard to create a cover to introduce this book. The cover is simple and mysterious. There's not much of a summary you can give for Crank, and I think this is perfect.
Character Comments: You kind of hated all the characters, while all the while relating to them. Kristina is annoying, you want to smack her for doing all those stupid things. You hate her dad, you hate her mom. But they were well written.
Favorite Character: Chase
Character Rating: 3/5
Plot line rating: 5/5
Likeliness to reread it? 4/5
Overall rating: 4/5
Books like this that I have reviewed: I have never reviewed, let alone read, a book like Crank.

No comments:

Post a Comment