Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (2)

Top Seven Books for People who liked the Hunger Games

I chose the Hunger Games as the book to showcase this week because of the immense popularity the book has had for the past few months or so. In other words, The Hunger Games is the new Twilight, or pre-teen/teen girl phenomenon. Although I'm glad that so many people are enjoying the fantabulous books, it's somewhat annoying, and I'm one of those snobs who consider themselves a "Hunger Games hipster". So, as everyone read the books as the movies came out and to join in the current fad, I went on a dystopian rage, searching for books like The Hunger Games, but somewhat unknown. Here's what I found.

1. Matched by Ally Condie

I haven't read this book in a while, but it's at the top of my to-re-read list. I read it around the time that I read The Hunger Games, and was falling head over heels in love with dystopian novels.

2. Delirium by Lauren Oliver

OMG. For me personally, it was hard to get into this book, but when I finally got into it, I fell head over heels in love. The premises is so intriguing. A world where love is considered a curable disease? Yes please.

3. Divergent by Veronica Roth

This is the current book I've been pushing on everyone. Like The Hunger Games? Read this book. Breathe? Read this book. It has one of my all-time favorite literary men (OMG) and alternate worlds. It also breaks your heart.

4. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

In all honesty, I really don't like this book. But I was running out of dystopian-type books. This is EXTREMELY sexual and not my cup of tea. However, I know plenty of people who loved both this book and the Hunger Games.

5. Uglies by Scott Westerfield

My first dystopian book. I fell in love with a type of world that our current world could become. I feel like this was the original YA Dystopian book.

6. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

I think Clary's the same type of strong, independent heroine as Katniss. Although they're different, I feel the writing is very similar.

7. The City of Ember  by Jeanne DuPrau

I can't remember if I read this or Uglies first... but I read them both at around the same time. It just occurred to me now how similar Uglies, The Hunger Games and this book are!

5 comments:

  1. I really need to get around to reading the Uglies series, and Delirium. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I really liked Delirium and Divergent! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta tell you, I usually dont read YA Fiction, mostly because it's been a while since I've BEEN a YA! But I loved the Hunger Games series, and thought that using that for my Top Ten list would bring some YA devotees towards a couple of cult classics and underrated books. Glad to see we had none of the same recommendations, though we had the same list topic! I have Divergent on my TBR list, I hope I have a great reading experience with it like you did. Great post, and thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting list. Margaret Atwood is always a good find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the first 3 you mentioned - and like The Hunger Games - I loved 'em too. I'll have to check out a few more from your list.

    ReplyDelete