Monday, July 16, 2012

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Title: The Name of the Star
Author: Maureen Johnson
Series? Shades of London
Acquired From: public library
Summary:  The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London, it's the start of a new life at a boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.
Cover Rating: 3/5
Comments on the Cover:  It's nothing really special. It shows an old-timey guy in a cool top hat and coat looking like a ghost. It fits the purpose, and does describe the book. It's just kinda... predictable. 
Character Comments: The characters were charismatic and lovely. There was a lot of depth to them, and they all made you smile. Some were quirky, some were serious. Some were serious, and others were silly. Maureen Johnson's strong point is definitely strong characters.
Favorite Characters: Jazza, Boo and Rory
Character Rating: 5/5
Plot line rating: 5/5
Plot Line Comments: One thing that hit me was how this book was so different from the others I've read by Maureen Johnson. I've read quite a few, and her writing style seems very... chick-lit-ish. This was different, and the whole story line was unique. Just when I thought I had it... there was a twist. I like a book that proves me wrong.
Likeliness to reread it? 3/5
Overall rating: 4/5
Books like this that I have reviewed: N/A

1 comment:

  1. I liked this book. It was completely different from anything she has written. I also wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Liebster Award.

    Carson @ Reader with Voice
    http://readerwithvoice.blogspot.com/2012/07/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete