Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles

Title: Leaving Paradise
Author: Simone Elkeles
Series? Leaving Paradise
Aquired From: A Friend
Summary: Nothing has been the same since Caleb Becker left a party drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit Maggie Armstrong. Even after months of painful physical therapy, Maggie walks with a limp. Her social life is nil and a scholarship to study abroad—her chance to escape everyone and their pitying stares—has been canceled. After a year in juvenile jail, Caleb’s free . . . if freedom means endless nagging from a transition coach and the prying eyes of the entire town. Coming home should feel good, but his family and ex-girlfriend seem like strangers.
Caleb and Maggie are outsiders, pigeon-holed as "criminal" and "freak." Then the truth emerges about what really happened the night of the accident and, once again, everything changes. It’s a bleak and tortuous journey for Caleb and Maggie, yet they end up finding comfort and strength from a surprising source: each other.
(from Goodreads)
Cover Rating: 4/5
Comments on the Cover: I like the road. It reminds me of the accident (said in a spooky voice to creep you all out) and I REALLY love the Neon Sign. I don't know why, but there's just something about it that I really really like.
Character Comments: I liked the characters in the most part. I really could connect with Maggie and thought that she was portrayed very well as a girl who just encountered such a life changing tragedy. Upset and angry, but deep down inside still very motivated. I really liked Caleb, too. He was a jerk at first, and I hated him blah blah blah but when the truth (slowly) started to come out, I began to like him a little more. Okay, okay, a LOT more.
Favorite Characters: Caleb and Maggie
Character Rating: 5/5
Plot line rating: 4/5
Plot Line Comments: I thought that it was pretty unique for the most part. I mean the falling in love with your "enemy" wasn't quite unique, but Elkeles did it in a way that was unique and well done.
Likeliness to reread it? 4/5
Overall rating: 4.25/5
Books like this that I have reviewed: Perfect Chemistry and Rules of Attraction

No comments:

Post a Comment